Fear of the future is a widespread human affliction.
We feel compelled to hold on grimly to what we know. Even before the Israelites had left Egypt and grown hungry in the desert, they railed against Moses. “Better to work for the Egyptians than die in the wilderness,” they said (Ex 14:12).
Much later, the risen Christ tells his devoted disciple, Mary of Magdala, not to cling to him but to embrace an entirely new form of his presence (Jn 20:17).
In the same vein, Paul bids the Ephesians to give up their old way of life and “be renewed by a spiritual revolution.” It’s a daily choice, to let go and set out afresh on the path of freedom.
THE WEEK’S PRAYER FOCUS
For a global change of heart, that the human family be united in gratitude for all the gifts of God.
These intercessions are offered for selected use at Sunday Mass in the parish alongside those that express local needs and concerns.
Dear friends, in word and sacrament Jesus offers us food for eternal life. In his name let us pray for all who hunger for food or for love.
- For church communities around the world, that they will feed the hungry with daily bread for body, mind and heart. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For regions experiencing catastrophic floods, droughts or fires, that their tragic losses will summon the world to climate conversion. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For all who are struggling with the physical, emotional and financial toll of the COVID pandemic, that they will receive the support they need to recover. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For all competitors in the Olympic Games, that their striving for excellence will inspire many to new heights of human achievement. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For the whole human family, that this week’s anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima will strengthen its resolve to free the world of nuclear weapons. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, that this year’s day of observance will make them proud in culture and strong in spirit. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For the parents, relatives and friends of missing persons, that their hopes of finding their loved ones will be fulfilled. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For one another, that we will be renewed in Christ and follow God’s way of goodness, holiness and truth. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
- For the recently deceased . . . and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time, that their hunger for eternal life will be fully satisfied. (Pause) Let us pray to the Lord.
God of wisdom and goodness, you never cease to sustain us with your love. Open our hearts to all who seek our help. We ask this through Christ our Lord.