Introduction to mass
The writers of both New and Old Testaments never pretend that God’s people are perfect. On the contrary, they freely shine the light of truth on their follies and failures. Christian communities, like their Jewish counterparts, soon found they needed to develop processes to deal with sinful behaviour, even to the point of exclusion from the community. But all this was, and remains, subject to the greater truth, that God in Christ has reconciled the world to himself and made us a new creation. Now is always the favourable time; today is always the day of salvation.
The week's prayer focus
We thank you, God, for the gift of Jesus, “the way that leads to you, the truth that sets us free, the life that fills us with gladness.” Keep us close to him this day.
These intercessions are offered for selected use at Sunday Mass in the parish alongside those that express local needs and concerns.
Dear friends, Jesus assures us that when two or three gather in his name, he is there with them. Blessed by his presence on this Child Protection Sunday, let us pray for the church and whole human family.
- We pray for Pope Francis, bishops and church leaders of every kind. May they do all in their power to ensure that every child in the care of the church is cherished and kept safe. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who have been sexually abused as children by church personnel or other adults. May they gain the justice they seek and the healing they long for. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who have lost faith in the church and no longer share in its life. May the Spirit of Christ bring about a renewal of trust, hope and belief in their hearts. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for our parish communities. May they be places where the truth is spoken plainly and where wrongs are faced honestly and dealt with for the good of all. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the peoples of the Asia-Pacific. May they rise to meet the many challenges they face from regional power struggles, internal division, terrorist activity, and climate change. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray in thanksgiving for the end of the dispute between Australia and East Timor over maritime boundaries. May both nations benefit from agreed access to natural resources. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who feel their life is no longer worth living. May those who are tempted to end their lives find timely support from family, friends and community organisations. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the sick, especially those suffering from the flu epidemic. May they receive the nursing and medical care they need to fully recover. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the recently deceased... and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time. May they join the angels and saints in praising God for ever. (Pause for silent prayer) Lord, hear us.
Father of mercy, you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ and given us the work of handing on this reconciliation. Keep us true to our mission of peace. We ask this through Christ our Lord.