Introduction to the Mass
“Do this in memory of me.” Such a simple command, yet so profound. So familiar, yet still inviting exploration. “Do this,” Jesus said, to his disciples. He bade them gather together, tell the story, offer the blessing, break the bread, share the cup, and go forth. Much more than a basic instruction, Jesus’ words offer his followers a daunting challenge. As my life is broken open and poured out, he says to them, so must yours be, in love for all. Sup at my table and be fed for a life of selfless service of God and neighbour. Do this in memory of me.
Dear friends, today we thank and praise God for nourishing us with the bread of life and cup of salvation. Gathered at the table of the Lord, let us open our hearts in prayer for the whole of God’s created world.
- We pray for every Christian community that breaks bread in memory of Jesus. May they faithfully proclaim his death and profess his resurrection until he comes again. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who minister at Sunday eucharist. May they make plain the teaching of Pope Francis, that every eucharist is an act of cosmic love that calls us to be stewards of creation. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the many millions of people now suffering from starvation and disease in East Africa. May governments and aid agencies have our generous support in addressing this intense humanitarian crisis. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who have been forced to flee their homeland and seek refuge wherever it can be found. May Refugee Week impel us to adopt effective policies of welcome and hospitality. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for leaders of nations in these times of political upheaval and uncertainty. May they hold fast to the noblest values of public service and govern with integrity. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for those who are tempted to engage in violent assault in the name of religious ideology. May their rage be detected and diverted before harm is done. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the survivors of sexual abuse, especially those violated by church personnel. May they be given the recognition they seek and the support they need to move into a new future. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for those who serve the community faithfully as volunteers. May they continue to give generously of their time and reinforce for us the bond of our common humanity. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the recently deceased . . . and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time. May they welcomed to the banquet of everlasting life. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
Bountiful God, of old you fed your people with manna in the desert, and in the fullness of time with the bread and wine sanctified by your Son. May we who eat of his body and drink of his blood become one body in him. We ask this through Christ our Lord.