Introduction to Mass
Become as little children, Jesus declares. A child can wonder at the mystery of a seed. A child can marvel at the power of a tiny, hard-cased, dried-up kernel to produce extraordinary fruit. That’s the amazement Jesus offers us today – amazement at how much fruit the word of God can bear when it is welcomed into our hearts and takes root in our lives. This is today’s good news, even as we admit all the obstacles that threaten to limit the harvest. Those who take time to tune in to God’s good word will find their lives and their world transformed.
The weeks prayer focus
Help us, dear God, to hear and heed your word among the many voices that clamour for our attention. Give us the courage to let it set us free.
These intercessions are offered for selected use at Sunday Mass in the parish alongside those that express local needs and concerns.
Dear friends, when the word of God is sown in ready hearts it yields a rich harvest of goodness and peace. Let us allow God’s word to bear fruit now in our prayers for the world.
- We pray for all who are doing their utmost to save the earth from the destructive effects of global warming. May the nations of the world unite in taking effective action. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the courageous men and women bringing humanitarian relief to people in places of great turmoil, especially Africa and the Middle East. May they succeed in bringing relief where it is most needed. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the bishops of the Australian Catholic Church. In the face of the church’s loss of credibility, may they testify to the power of God’s word to bring a new world to birth. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for our parish community. May the word of God take root in our midst and make us a living sign of God’s kingdom of mercy, truth and justice. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for safety in every kind of work place, especially for those working alone on the land. May the health and well-being of workers be given the priority it deserves. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for foster parents who open their homes and families to children who have had a difficult start in life. May the love they offer bring healing and hope to those entrusted to them. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- [NSW, ACT, WA and Vic] We pray for parents, teachers and children as school resumes this week. May the winter term be rewarding for all who are engaged in the enterprise of education. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who have been elected to government office at local, state or commonwealth level. May they strike a healthy balance between our need for security and our enjoyment of freedom. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the recently deceased . . . and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time. May they enjoy the freedom and glory of the children of God. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
Life-giving God, at the dawn of time you spoke and all things came to be. In the fullness of time, you spoke your most loving word to us in Jesus Christ. Give us the courage to live each day by the power and wisdom of your word. We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.