Introduction to Mass
It was on a beast of burden, not a steed of war, that Jesus entered Jerusalem to fulfil his mission, as the prophet Zechariah reminds us today. His is not the way of the world. In place of egotistical pride and ruthless force, he calls for humility, gentleness and childlike trust. In the kingdom of God, these are not symptoms of weakness but the secret pathway to strength. Jesus dares us to believe in the power of love and truth. Noisy and persistent voices seek to drown out his word to us but those who attend to it will find rest and peace.
The week's prayer focus
Father, Lord of heaven and earth, teach us the way of your Son. Under the guidance of your Spirit may we learn the wisdom of the cross and find joy in following Jesus with all our hearts.
Dear friends, in Jesus Christ the mystery of God has been revealed, not to the proud but to the humble of heart. With a child’s trust let us turn to our heavenly Father and ask for all we need.
- We pray for Pope Francis, bishop of Rome. May he be sustained by the power of the Spirit in his mission of leading the church and proclaiming the joy of the gospel. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the city of Jerusalem. May this divided place which the Messiah entered humbly on a donkey become a centre of peace and unity for the whole of the Middle East. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the church in Australia as it continues to be confronted by the crisis of sexual abuse. May the whole Catholic community face this crisis with courage, honesty and with heartfelt compassion for victims. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the priests who have left their homelands to minister in Australian dioceses. May they have all the support they need to become happy and effective pastors for their parish communities. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for couples preparing for marriage and for those recently married. May their pledge of mutual love bind them together in a union that stays strong, fruitful and faithful. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who have lost control of their lives through drug or alcohol abuse. May they be given the grace to admit their addiction and seek the help they need. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for children deprived of education because of civil unrest, social barriers or lack of resources. May their right to learn be respected and fulfilled. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for all who are engaged in business. May they begin the new financial year determined to observe the highest standard of ethical practices and policies. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
- We pray for the recently deceased . . . and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time. May God raise their mortal bodies to life in the Spirit of Christ. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
Holy God, you have made the mystery of your everlasting love known to us in Jesus Christ. Help us come and find rest in him whose yoke is easy and whose burden is light. We ask this through the same Jesus Christ our Lord.