Prayers of the people: Trinity Sunday (Year A) - 11 June 2017
05 June 2017
Introduction to the Mass
The fifty days of festival that make up the Easter season do not come to an abrupt end. Two stepping stones ease our passage into the second and lengthier part of Ordinary Time (as if five or six months in the company of Jesus could ever be called ordinary!). The solemnities of Trinity and the Body and Blood of Christ echo and amplify the alleluias we have sung in the spirit of the Risen One. Today we are invited to join in the ecstatic dance of the Three Divine Lovers – Father, Son and Spirit – and revel in the mystery of their union.
Dear friends, we give thanks this day for the revelation of the one God as Source of Love, Beloved Son and Spirit of Love. With the confidence that is ours as the children of God, we pray for the human family and the whole of creation.
- For families and communities in every place where innocent people are killed or maimed in murderous acts of violence, that in their anguish they will come together in solidarity and refuse to be overcome by fear or hate, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For leaders in every sphere of business, industry and politics, that they will do all in their power to address the challenge of climate change and commit themselves to safeguard the earth, our common home, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For Pope Francis, bishop of Rome, and all who minister in the name of Christ, that they will never cease to proclaim the saving mystery of the one God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For the elderly and frail aged, whether at home or in a health facility , that they will receive the quality of care that their human dignity deserves and be protected from all forms of elder abuse, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For all employees in Catholic education, health and social service in Australia, that they will find joy in their work and draw unfailing inspiration from the gospel of Jesus, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For those who have dedicated themselves to eradicate child slavery and human trafficking, that they will be encouraged by community support for their efforts to liberate women and children from their cruel bondage, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For those who live and work on the land to produce the food we eat, that they will nurture the earth with care and receive just remuneration for their labours, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For ourselves as members of this consumer society, that we will make our purchases wisely and do all we can to reduce the waste we generate, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
- For the recently deceased . . . . and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time, that they will be welcomed into loving embrace of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, (pause) let us pray to the Lord.
Holy God, unfailing Fount of Life, you sent your Beloved Son to take flesh in our midst and bring us to new birth in the Spirit of your love. May we ever delight in your beauty and truth and live all our days in the glory of your goodness. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Request permissions to reuse this article