So many voices clamouring for our attention, so many claims, so much noise – such is the world in which we live. One voice alone speaks the truth. One alone offers wisdom for the way. One alone guides us through the chaos to a haven of peace and plenty. Today that voice is given a name: Good Shepherd. Today we make time and space to hear that good shepherd – Jesus the Christ – call us by name. Today we thrill again at his promise of life, life to the full. For freedom’s sake we follow him in faith.
Dear friends, we gather today as the flock of Christ who calls each one of us by name and shepherds us to freedom. In his name we pray for the well-being of the whole world.
1. We pray for all pastors, especially Pope Francis, bishop of Rome and pastor of the universal church. May they guide their communities of faith with wisdom and love. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
2. We pray for people of all ages, especially the young, who feel a call to service in the church. May they respond generously to the prompting of God’s Spirit. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
3. We pray for all who feel lost in a valley of darkness. May the Spirit of the Risen Lord lead them safely home and restore their faith in life. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
4. We pray for all who have been elected to state and federal parliaments. May they set aside vested interests and promote policies that are fair, soundly based, and serve the common good. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
5. We pray for nurses and all health professionals. May they find fulfilment in their vocation of care for the sick and the dying. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
6. We pray for the International Red Cross and all humanitarian agencies, and especially for their volunteer members. May their selfless service inspire us to work for a new world of healing, harmony and peace. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
7. We pray for women who have miscarried or lost a baby at birth. May they and their spouses or partners be consoled in their loss and be given the hope of a future child. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
8. We pray for this parish community. May we become more and more a welcoming family of faith in which all children can grow up happily and safely. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
9. We pray for the recently deceased ... and for those whose anniversary of death occurs around this time. May they dwell in the Lord’s own house for ever. (Pause) Lord, hear us.
God our Father, your Son Jesus came among us as our Good Shepherd that we might have life and have it to the full. Give us the courage to follow his call until the day you summon us from this world to yourself. We ask this through Christ our Lord.